Tuesday, December 09, 2003

More about the July 1653 List I will fill in some of the ships from this list, that I know. In part, I am drawing upon Schetsen uit de Geschiedenis van ons Zeewezen, Vol. V, Note 3, page 94. This lists ships and captains for the Dutch ships lost at the Battle of the Gabbard, June 12-13, 1653. No. 76, belonging to the Directors of Monnikendam, which was captured, was the Halve Maen, whose captain was Hendrick Pieterszoon. The Halve Maen was used as a warship by the English, and they measured her. Her English dimensions were: Length on the keel: 97 feet Beam: 25 feet Depth: 10 feet-8 inches Burden: 322 tons My estimate of Dutch dimensions (Amsterdam feet) are: Length: 130 feet Beam: 28 feet-4 inches Hold: 12 feet I estimate the likely Dutch armament as 34 guns. I have no data about the Noorder-Kwartier Directors armaments. 34-gun ships belonging to the Amsterdam Directors would have an armament like 4-24pdr, 12-12pdr, 8-8pdr, 4-6pdr, 4-3pdr.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links