Sunday, May 15, 2005

One of the manuscripts that Rick van Velden found for me was the list in The First Dutch War, Vol.I

Thanks to Rick van Velden, I have a copy of the original handwritten list that was first published in the Hollandsche Mercurius for 1652 and then in Vol.I of The First Dutch War. The handwritten document only lists captains and not crew or number of guns. Those details were probably filled in by consulting Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet which is in the Prins Hendrick Museum in Rotterdam. I will be curious to check the handwriting for Jan Maijkers, as in the Hollandsche Mercurius, it was changed to Jan Deyckers. I only knew that it was wrong when I received the first of the Director's ship documents in early 2003. Clearly the captain's name was Jan Maijkers (or Maykers). I found him and the handwriting was correct. Apparently the mangling of his name happened in the process of preparing the text for the Hollandsche Mercurius. The date of the list appears to be 24 July 1652.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links