Monday, June 05, 2006

The ships that I listed for 1654 are not a complete list

My list of Dutch ships in 1654 are just those whose captain I know and where I have a list of the guns carried. There are more ships mentioned in the Staet van Oorlog te Water for the year 1654 than I have shown. Carl Stapel compiled a list that included:
Amsterdam 17 ships
Friesland  5 ships
the Maze (Rotterdam) 12 ships
Noorderkwartier 7 ships
Zeeland   20 ships
At least one of the Zeeland ships listed in the Staet had been sunk at the Battle of Scheveningen in August 1653. This was the small warship West Capelle, commanded by Claes Janszoon Sanger. This was the ship also known as the Galjas van Middelburg, and which fought in the Battle of Plymouth in August 1652.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links