Sunday, February 01, 2004

Carl Ballhausen, Ph.D. and facts I am about ready to concede that Dr. Ballhausen actually might have some useful facts in his book. I can think of two examples that I have seen this weekend. One is that Jan Evertsz. de Liefde's ship might well have been named Jonas. In any case, the ship was hired by the Rotterdam Directors, and in about mid-1652 carried 36 guns and had a crew of 125. The second is that Fredrik Stellingwerff's ship, the Zevenwolden might well have had 38 guns and a crew of 135. In any case, I have been relying on Dr. Ballhausen for information about position of squadrons at battles, during the First Anglo-Dutch War. I have also assumed that his initial wind directions are accurate. In some cases, where I have lacked other data, I have drawn upon what he has, in building orders-of-battle and information about how ships were grouped into squadrons. I am checking, as best I can, against The First Dutch War.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links