Thursday, February 05, 2004

AOSII/Privateers Bounty--some lessons I just fought a strongly contested Battle of the Kentish Knock. As usual, I took the Dutch side. The battle ended up being closer than it should have for several reasons. The main reason is that I didn't do a good job of managing burning ships. I needlessly lost other ships, before I started taking care that other ships did not sail into them. What I found worked well is to steer the burning ships away, although perhaps towards English ships. Then, right click have the crew fight the fire. Then, I steered other ships away from them. Radical manouvers do not work well. A smaller move, in the general direction the ship is sailing works much better. The other point is to be more attentive to keeping ships together, and sailing as groups. Keep manouvering your ships to keep the enemy under fire. In some circumstances, start manouvering ships individually, to be able to rake the opposing ships. The best situation is to be able to rake your opponent, while he cannot fire at you. Another point is to monitor where your ships are, and what their course is. It is all too easy to touch a ship, to see how its guns are pointing or the course set, and have the course steered jump in some odd direction. This battle I fought, this evening was quite even, as the Battle of the Kentish Knock, or at least the way the battle is set up, makes the approach difficult. My best results have been when I have been able to manouver the Dutch into an oblong mass and use that to break the English line. That is a devastating attack, while sailing in a parallel line to the English can be very dangerous. The Dutch cannot risk that situation.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links