Monday, March 05, 2007

I have not seen any reference, other than Dr. Elias, for the Prinses Louise carrying 46 guns in late 1652

I have seen a note in Dr. Elias's book, Schetsen uit de geschiedenis van ons zeewezen, that says there was a time in late 1652, when Witte de With's ship Prinses Louise had been upgunned to 46 guns. In all the documents from that period that I have seen to date, I have not seen any evidence of any armament other than 36 guns. As the Prinses Louise was a 120ft ship, even a 12pdr-heavy 36 gun armament must have heavily loaded the ship. I can only imagine the effect of 46 guns on such a small ship, although I know that sort of thing was done in 1665 and 1666.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links