Wednesday, April 26, 2006

So what ship did Allert Janszoon command in the First Anglo-Dutch War?

We have a modest amount of evidence about what ship Allert Janszoon commanded in the First Anglo-Dutch War. Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet lists him as being in the service of the Vlissingen Directors, in a ship of 28 guns and a crew of 100 men. Dr. Elias, on page 87 of Vol.III of Schetsen uit de Geschiedenis van ons Zeewezen, gives his ship's name as Dubbelden Arent, which I had interpreted as the Zeeland ship Dubbele Arend (in more modern spelling). He is not mentioned in after December 1652, in any source. I had thought that he was mentioned in the Staet van 1654, but I am not so sure, anymore. I need to check when I get home.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links