- C.T. Atkinson, Ed., The First Dutch War, Vol.V, 1912.
- C. T. Atkinson, Ed., The First Dutch War, Vol. VI, 1930.
- Dr. Carl Ballhausen, Der Erste Englisch-Höllandische Seekrieg 1652-1654, 1923.
- Johan E. Elias, Schetsen uit de geschiedenis van ons zeewezen, Vol.VI, 1930.
- A. Vreugdenhil, Ships of the United Netherlands 1648-1702, 1938.
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Dutch Captain: Jan Rootjes (or Rootiers)
Vreugdenhil says that the Koning Radbout (or Radboud) was an Amsterdam Directors' ship. That seems to be based on Thurloe's list from 22 June 1653 that has many errors in assignments to Directors and Admiralties. Our best information indicates that Jan Rootjes (or Rootiers) served the Medemblik Directors, based on a definite statement by Dr. Elias. He probably fought in the Battle of Scheveningen. According to the list of ships at Vlissingen in July 1653, there were no Medemblik Directors' ships present at the Gabbard, although the list in Thurloe would suggest otherwise. Dr. Ballhausen calls him Captain Rootjes, and says that his ship was named Raadhuis van Medemblik. He definitely was with Witte de With's fleet on the voyage to Norway to convoy merchant ships home. He seems to have been definitely lost with his ship in the storm, along with his entire crew ("mice and men").