- J. R. Bruijn, De Oorlogvoering ter zee in 1673 in Journalen en Andere Stukken, 1966.
- J. C. De Jonge, Geschiedenis van het Nederlandsche Zeewezen, Vol.III, 1869.
- J. C. Mollema, De Eere Rol, from Geschiedenis van Nederland ter Zee, Vol.II, 1940.
- Carl Stapel, unpublished manuscript "Familie van der Zaan", 2005.
- Carl Stapel, unpublished manuscript "Vlootlijst La Hogue 2 juni 1692", 2005.
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Dutch Captain: Cornelis van der Zaan
Cornelis van der Zaan served the Admiralty of Amsterdam. He is somewhat confusing, as there are various sources that give his dates differently. Is he the officer who was born about 1640 and lived until the 1690's? Prof. Bruijn seems to indicate that as does Mollema. I have a post about him that omits mention of his service in the War of the English Succession. In 1688, he commanded the Harderwijk (46 guns) in the fleet that took Willem III to England. He fought in the Battle of La Hougue on 2 June 1692, where he commanded the Amsterdam (64 guns). He was assigned to Philips van Almonde's division. Sources: