- R. C. Anderson, "English Fleet-Lists in the First Dutch War," The Mariner's Mirror, Vol.XXIV No.4, October 1938.
- R. C. Anderson, List of English Naval Captains 1642-1660, 1964.
- Michael Baumber, General-at-Sea, 1989.
- J. J. Colledge, Ships of the Royal Navy, 2nd Ed., 1987.
- J. R. Powell, The Navy in the English Civil War, 1962.
Tuesday, January 11, 2005
English Captain: Thomas Harrison
Thomas Harrison served in the Parliamentarian and Commonwealth navies. From 1647 to 1648, he commanded the 4th Rate Mary Rose. He was assigned to the Winter Guard in 1647 and the Summer Guard in 1648 (and possibly, the Winter Guard). In 1649, he commanded the 4th Rate Phoenix. In 1650, he commanded the 2nd Rate Rainbow. In 1652, he commanded the 2nd Rate Vanguard, but he was superseded by Vice-Admiral William Haddock. In early July 1652, he was ordered by Sir George Ayscue to keep vessels from leaving the Thames, as Tromp was off the Downs. Sources: