Tuesday, March 30, 2004

My next project is to look more closely at the Onstelde-Zee

After recently looking at the Onstelde-Zee chapter on the Battle of Portland, I can see that I need to look more closely at what is there. I still have many questions about the battle, especially from the Dutch perspective, and this seems to be a good way to get the contemporary perspective. A challenge associated with that, though, is that it is in very archaic Dutch.

The pain might be worthwhile, though, because I saw references to three ships that I had not previously associated with the Battle of Portland. One of the names, I have had trouble taking seriously: Poort van Troijen. After finally obtaining a good number of manuscripts from 1652 and 1653, I can see that it is more plausible than I had thought. For example, Abraham van Campen's ship was the Arche Troijane. I have had some confusion about the Poort van Troijen name, as I had equated it with the ship called Hector in Vreugdenhil's list. In the manuscripts I have, that captain's ship was the Nassouw. The captain that I had believed was referenced was Lambert Pieterszoon. Now, I am not so sure.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links