Monday, March 01, 2004

The entry from the July 1653 list from Vlissingen

My latest attempt to transcribe the handwritten entry, show below is:

absant - 81) een advijs barck. is crucende en niet onder het getal van schepen van oorloge.

The "crucende" is the most suspect word. I will need to browse my copy of Van Dale to see if I can figure out what the word should be. I would welcome suggestions. The other possible problem would be "absant". After further study, I realized that the word before "oorloge" was "van". This is somewhat more sloppy writting than usual, but is not untypical. It has a mix of modern and old ways of forming letters.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links