Friday, July 09, 2004

I wonder if Hendrick Adriaanszoon's ship, the Samson is the one for which I have data

I posted, on December 6, 2003, a note about my translation of some text about Evert Anthonissen's five ships. Two ships, the Samson and the Purmerlandt, were providing local defense in the Vlie roads. One of those ships, said to be unready, was Hendrick Adriaanszoon's ship, the Samson. Some of Evert Anthonissen's ships were hired by the Amsterdam Directors: Frederick de Coninck's ship, the Vergulde Fortuijn and Hendrick de Raedt's ship, the Swarte Leeuw If the Samson is the one for which I have data, it would likely have been hired by the Amsterdam Directors.

The Samson was mentioned in a document dated 27 January 1653. The dimensions were: 119ft x 28ft x 13ft, with a height between decks of either 6-1/4 or 6-1/2ft. The armament was 28 guns: 10-12pdr, 8-8pdr, 8-6pdr, and 2-3pdr. I had believed that this was the ship that the English spy misread the name as Ganapan, as when I first saw the handwritten name, that is what it looked like. The capital "S" was shaped like a "G" (a loop above another loop). The second, lowercase "s" had the upper curve closed on itself, so it resembled a "p".

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links