Friday, July 16, 2004

I will be getting a copy of Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet

I don't know if I should get my hopes up, or not, but I will be getting a copy of Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet that lists Tromp's fleet in the abortive July-August 1652 voyage to the Shetlands. Almost any information from this pamphlet would be useful. The best sources have captain's name, the ship name, and the admiralty or Directors that funded the ship. Some really exceptional sources also give dimensions and armament, but I would only expect that from ship lists that document ship acquistions, and the state of the fleet on a specific date. Now, to fully capitalize on sources that are known to exist, I need to get a copy of some documents that are held by the Zeeuse Archief. Ivo van Loo told me: I also received a communication from Ivo van Loo: At the Zeeuws Archief you can find information about 'director's ships' in the accounts in the archives of the Rekenkamer van Zeeland (Zeeland auditor's office) (Zeeuws Archief, Arch. Rekenkamer II, inv.nrs. 1179a en 1179b). You can in these archives you can also consult the following accounts (both approved by the Generaliteitsrekenkamer): - the account of the directors of Vlissingen concerning the extraordinary outlay for the equipment of warships for the actions against England by the order of the States General. - the account of the directors of Veere concerning the extraordinary equipment of the warship 'Wapen van der Vere'. If there is anyone who can help with this, it would benefit us all. I have made great strides in the last 1-1/2 years in advancing our knowledge of the Dutch fleet in 1652 to 1654, and this would take us that much further. I will advise you as to what I find from Hendrick de Raedt's pamphlet.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links