Saturday, July 10, 2004

Cornelis Corneliszoon de Groot and the Samson

I had listed the Amsterdam Directors ship Samson as being commanded by Cornelis Corneliszoon, but it seems that it is actually Cornelis Corneliszoon de Groot. I have seen this phenomenon all too frequently, where the last name was dropped. Other examples were Evert Anthonissen (Marre) and Ewout Jeroenszoon (de Moy).

The dimensions for the Samson, as you may recall, were 119ft x 28.25ft x 13ft with an armament of 28 guns: 10-12pdr, 8-8pdr, 8-6pdr, and 2-3pdr.

I have done some analysis, and my estimate of the displacement is 533.3 tons and the burden, calculated English style, was 357.3 tons. The weight of broadside was 119 lbs. and the armament weight I estimate to be 25.17 tons.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links