Friday, February 02, 2007

I doubt the existence of a Groote Sint Lucas

I really doubt that Sipke Fockes commanded a ship named Groote Sint Lucas in the Three Days Battle. The more I think about the issue, the more I think that he just commanded the Sint Maria. I have a handwritten document from January 1653 that lists his ship as the Sint Maria, the same ship that he had commanded since March 1652. I still can't explain the reference that says that his ship was captured and taken into an English port, from published sources only, so far. I assume that the report is incorrect or else gives the wrong ship name. There is still the issue that there are the documents giving the damage to the Sint Maria and that the ship would be repaired.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links