Monday, July 24, 2006

Number 8 in Vreugdenhil's list always has been a hole in the analysis

I must admit that I had not emphasized Vreugdenhil's analysis or research results that indicated that ship number 8 in his list of Dutch ships was the ship that was commanded by Adriaan van den Bosch at the Battle of Scheveningen (or Terheide). Vreugdenhil said that ship number 8 had been completed in 1636, and was a States' ship. I had pretty much discounted that and assumed that the ship named Engel Gabriel commanded by Van den Bosch at Scheveningen was actually the Amsterdam Directors' ship previously commanded by Bastiaan Bardoel. I just assumed that ship number 8 was an unsolved mystery, similar to the mystery surrounding the Achilles of 1630, number 1 in Vreugdenhil's list. Once I became aware of the 28-gun ship named Engel Gabriel hired by the Admiralty of Amsterdam on 19 June 1652, I altered my thinking. This ship was also completed in 1636 and was plausibly the ship commanded by Adriaan van den Bosch in August 1653.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links