Sunday, October 30, 2005

Dutch handwriting from 1652 to 1654

I have a good deal of material from 1652 to 1654 (and other periods). I spent an hour or so looking through the stack of copies from the Zeeuws Archief. It largely seems to be financial information, although somewhere in the stack, I had found the page with the name and dimensions of Jan Olivierszoon's ship. I did not see them, tonight. I just was looking through a stack of copies (much smaller) from the Nationaal Archief that Rick van Velden had found for me earlier this year. this is the stack that had the names of ships that I had not previously known. For example, Jacob Pieterszoon Houck's ship is named Sampson, but at first, the name looked something like Hamp Son (or Zon). Then, I realized that it was Sampson. I wonder if I can find references for similar documents, if they might have more names that we haven't previously known. I would be tempted to pay someone to transcribe some handwriting for me, if there was anyone with the expertise. I probably cannot afford too much, but it could be helpful. This stack includes the handwritten list that was the obvious source for the list published first in the Hollandsche Mercurius for 1652 and then in The First Dutch War, Vol.I. The list is actually dated something like July 15, 1652.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links