Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ron van Maanen lists a ship he calls "Leeuwin"

I was looking over my comprehensive list and comparing it with Ron van Maanen's "Zeeland" list (I have no idea about the origin of the file name). Ron lists a ship he calls "Leeuwin", which was hired by the Middelburg Directors. I had initially thought that this referred to the ship Gouden Leeuw, commanded by Jacob Adriaansz Penssen, but now I think that this was the ship commanded by Johannes van Regermorter at the Three Days' Battle. Apparently, this is the ship that was brought home to Zeeland after the battle by Claes Janszoon. The first time that I had associated Leeuwinne (the archaic spelling) with Johannes van Regermorter was when I was studying Witte de With's journal for May 1653. The Leeuwinne is one of the few ship names listed. Ron van Maanen has dimensions that are apparently for this ship: 120ft length, 27-1/2ft beam, and a height between decks (Ron would argue against this characterization of the number, but it still seems right) of 6-1/4ft. Sources:
  1. Ron van Maanen, unpublished manuscript "Zeeland", undated
  2. Witte de With, journals from 1652 to 1658, Archive E8812 from the Riksarkivet, Stockholm

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links