Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Jan Glete's book was a revelation to me

I had originally started to get information from the Nationaal Archief in The Hague through Drs. Rick van Velden, through "The Missing Link" service. I had contacted him in August 2002, after I found "The Missing Link" by searching on the Internet. I believe that it was after that that I had Jan Glete's book Navies and Nations. Navies and Nations was a revelation to me, as Jan Glete's references and footnotes indicated that there were more information to be found than I had guessed. He mentioned that Ron van Maanen had told him about the information about Directors' ships. After seeing that, I looked for and found Jan Glete's email address. He kindly provided me with a copy of his notes. I had to switch to dealing with the Nationaal Archief at the beginning of 2003. I was able to get copies of some of the Extraordinarie Equipage documents that listed dimensions and had gun lists for the Amsterdam Directors' ships. I just kept with the process of finding more information and I continued to use Navies and Nations in my search. I was able to get copies of the Staet van Oorlog te Water for the years 1628, 1629, 1631, and 1633, as I have previously written. I have just continued the process of getting information to this day.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links