Monday, January 05, 2004

A new scenario: the Battle of the Kentish Knock (8 October 1652 NS) I am in the process of entering the Dutch ship information for the Kentish Knock. I already have the complete English fleet entered. I have done all of the calculations, and have a Word document that has the OOB spelled out (without the details). I will be interested to see how AOSII does with 60 or 70 ships to a side. I am hopeful that it will work out. The main way for it to be a problem is to be individually controlling a large number of ships. As long as you control groups of ships, it seems to not overwhelm the processor. Thanks to Rick van Velden, at the Nationaal Archief, in the Hague, I can largely fill in the OOB for the Kentish Knock, with only a few guesses. I still don't know the name of Abraham van der Hulst's ship, at the beginning of the First Anglo-Dutch War. I know that the ship had 26 guns and had a crew of 100 men. There are a few other ship names that I have not been able to identify. One thing that I learned, early in 2003, is that there are a large number (40 or more) of ships whose name has never been published. There are a few others whose name has only been published in an obscure place, and 75 or more years ago, in a book written in Dutch. There is much room for new scholarship and publication in this field.

Google SiteSearch

Google
  Web anglo-dutch-wars.blogspot.com

Lotto System

Facebook

James Cary Bender's Facebook profile

Amazon Ad

Amazon Ad

Amazon Context Links